GUIDELINES FOR AUDITIONS
Auditions: February 16 and 18 at 7 pm
Performances: May 6 – 22
School Matinee: May 12, 2016
Rehearsals are typically Sundays – Thursdays 6 pm – 9 pm
Thank you for your interest in the Sioux Empire Community Theater’s production of MARY POPPINS.
We at the Sioux Empire Community Theater are thrilled to be bringing this production to life at The Orpheum and we’re very excited to have the chance to work with members of our talented community. Whether this is your first or fifty-first audition, we think it is important to set some guidelines as you prepare your audition for this particular production. Every role is a significant role in this production, even chorus parts, and we want to make sure that we give you the opportunity to prepare for this in the best way possible.
Synopsis: Based on the stories of PL Travers Jane and Michael have sent many a nanny packing before Mary Poppins arrives on their doorstep. Using a combination of magic and common sense, she teaches the family to value each other. Magic and memorable adventures are sure to happen!
SOME GENERAL GUIDELINES:
- Come prepared with a suitable song from another musical for your audition. Consider the show as a whole and the roles that you would like to be considered for, if it is a dramatic somber musical or a comedic musical, pick a song that reflects the show, and highlights your abilities to perform either. Do not come prepared with a song from
- Your audition must be accompanied, so bring sheet music or a CD. We need to be confident that you can sing along with accompaniment, so be prepared to demonstrate that with sheet music (preferred) or a backing track CD / MP3 (no lead vocals on the recording). We will provide a talented accompanist to play for you at your audition, though you are certainly welcome to bring someone to play for you if you wish.
- Do not accompany yourself. We need to see you present your song as you would on a stage, not from behind an instrument.
- “Happy Birthday,” “My Country ‘tis of Thee,” or other “last minute” songs are probably not the best choices. You are certainly welcome to audition with those, though we would MUCH rather you prepared a suitable selection from another musical. Please keep in mind, however, that even chorus roles in this production are huge and we need to know you’re up to the challenge. Your preparation for this audition shows us that you are. We will be considering actors 10+
AUDITIONS WILL CONSIST OF:
- Reading from the script
- Director led improv exercises
- A small dance audition. Our Choreographer will teach you a small section of a dance in small groups. You will then be asked to perform it in front of the production team as a group. Please remember to wear clothing that you can move in and appropriate shoes (i.e NO sandals, flip-flops, etc..)
If you have questions about auditions please contact us at email@example.com or by calling us at 605-360-4800.